It’s time to make some soup again! I love beetroot and wanted to create vegan borscht recipe for this winter, I already had my old borscht recipe, which I changed a little bit to make It easier to find all ingredients and to make it without having to go trough many different shops to find what you’ll need for making this soup.
At first I tried to look vegan options for sour cream, but it was so hard to find vegan option for it, so I decided to create my own version of it. At first I tried to make sour cream with some coconut milk, lemon juice and salt (in pictures) blended together, but failed with that version. The texture of coconut sour cream was too thin and when I added that to hot soup it melted really fast. Then I tried to make sour cream with cashews, lemon and nutritional yeast and that combination turned out to be good.
This recipe is also very nice and easy to do, because you can get all ingredients really easily all year round, even if you are buying all ingredients organic. One thing that I want to mention is that beetroot will color everything pink! So be careful when you peel and grate them, also your hands will be pink, but don’t worry the color will fade in a day or two. Remember to be careful with all your kitchen fabrics like towels, table cloths or table linens etc. It’s harder to get that pink color away from fabric materials.
- 800 g Beetroot (about 4 big beetroots)
- 3 Carrots
- 250 g White cabbage
- 1 Big red onion
- 1 Clove of garlic
- 3 tbsp Coconut oil
- One liter of water
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 1/2 tsp Rosemary
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper
- 1-2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp Apple cider vinegar
- Pinch of salt
- Heat up coconut oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add chopped garlic and onions, then cook few minutes.
- Peel and grate beetroots and carrots and add them into the pot, stir about 10 minutes.
- Add apple cider vinegar and water and bring to the boil, cook for 20 minutes.
- Reduce the heat back to medium and add thyme, rosemary, black pepper, bay leaves and pinch of salt into the pot, simmer for 20 minutes. Remove borscht from heath.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning, serve with sour cream (recipe below, or you can use one bought from shop if in a hurry).
VEGAN SOUR CREAM
- 120 g Cashews (soaked)
- 50 ml lemon juice
- 1 tbsp coconut milk
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Pinch of salt
- water to get right consistency (don’t put too much! at first add about 100 ml , if it’s not enough then add some more.)
- Place all ingredients into blender.
- Blend on high about 5 minutes, until very creamy. Add some water if blender cant blend it.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Add to airtight container, sour cream will last about 3-5 days in fridge.
You can use the leftover sour cream as a base for sauces and dips, or you can use it when you make tacos, nachos or veggie soups. I really would like to use sour cream more when making food and dips, but I don’t really like to use dairy products on a daily basis, so I’m really happy now when there is vegan option that I can make every time when there are recipes that usually have sour cream used in them.
Have you ever tried vegan borscht before, did you like it?